Tuesday, June 25, 2013

V.I.D.E.O.S.: Very Interesting Documentary Everyone Ought to See - Room 237

So I just thought of a new segment that I can repeat and it just came to me. Very Interesting Documentaries Everyone Ought to See....V.I.D.E.O.S.! It sounds cool, catchy, and I'm sure that I can get people on board since regular movies are too hit-and-miss and don't always revolve around real life.

My mind has been reeling over this one documentary.  It's a documentary about a movie.  There are many of those out there, but this one isn't about "the making" of a movie.  It's about the reaction from viewers.

The movie is called Room 237.


It's a subjective documentary about some of the hidden messages that many viewers believe are within Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, and what they are meant to represent.  There aren't any images of the people being heard interviewed in the film, but the film itself is so fascinating that it really makes someone think about what we believe we see when we watch a movie.

If you are unfamiliar with The Shining, I suggest you watch that movie.  It's almost 35 years old and can still make people jump.  It is horrifying to say the least.  After watching the documentary, you will be begin to think deeper and deeper about everything that went on in the movie.

I know I'm a little late to the party about blogging about this, but I am a Kubrick-phile.  I love all of Stanley Kubrick's work.  Everything he made is better than just about anything coming out now.  For the time his films were made, they are ever-lasting.  What's really interesting about this movie is the theories that people have structured and the robust arguments that are made.

Now from what cinephiles know about Kubrick is that he was calculated and very into the idea of every image and every frame being part of an overall theme.  But the theories and arguments made in this movie not only bring to light some of the questionable, as well as interesting theories regarding Minotaurs, The Moon Landing, The Holocaust, The American Indian, and so forth.  But the bring about what people are looking at in a movie when they are watching.  The details, the colors, the sounds, the movements are all interconnected in some way.  Kubrick loved to play with these devices to entertain.

I won't spoil any of the documentary, because I think I've told you all that you need to know.  But I highly suggest you check it out on Amazon Instant, or Apple TV or some other medium of watching films.  It is such a high-brow documentary that it really illustrates what people see, what we think we know against what was really shown, as well as things you miss the first time around when watching a movie.

Hope you enjoyed this first of many V.I.D.E.O.S segments.  I love movies and you should too!  Support art!

No comments:

Post a Comment