Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hey Remember That!: When the Disney Channel had to be Paid for…circa 1995

First things first: mute the video – it’s Journey.  Might be embarrassing.  Moving on.  I was wondering what I could bring back to people to create a sense of nostalgia.  Most of what I remembered was from Nickelodeon and the Disney channel.  I remember when the Disney Channel was part of cable packages that weren’t free.  No 500 station packages.  You had 73 stations and everyone knew everyone else’s channels.  HD was a myth.  Paying for the Disney Channel was something of a treat that the cable company would toss out for people to subscribe to and then cut it when they wanted to pay for.  Remember the days when NESN wasn’t free and you had to pay to watch Red Sox games?  If your family was upper-lower-middle class and semi-poor, you know exactly what I’m talking about.  TV won’t really ever be like that again.  Not with the new stuff the Internet is churning out year after year.  I’m watching the video and I’m at the 1:40 mark and I forgot how Doug went from being on Nickelodeon to being an ABC One Saturday morning cartoon.  Really changed the dynamic of the whole kids cartoon.  We didn’t need Tween shows.  We had shows about middle schools kids, monsters, talking animals and babies.  And that was it.  The content was what kept us kids glued to the tube.  Oh well.  Those times are something I can only dream about now.  Although I’m sure that all of the shows listed on this video are on DVD or streaming or somewhere out in the world waiting to be bought by my generation years from now and re-consumed just to feel the Edward G. Robinson wanted to feel at the end of Soylent Green.  Adieu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment