Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Weekly Free Economics Lesson: The Penny

When I was in college, I learned about economics.  We learned about money and how certain money producing systems (aka Mints) would change their currency and change their exchange rates with other countries.  The Dollar, the Euro, the Krone, the Yuan, the Yen, Franc, the Peso, they all made sense in some way.  However, there was one part of our own economy that still continues to baffle me: the penny.  Above is a video that shows how awful this Congress is with not only printing money but also making sure that the currency doesn’t become worthless.  The penny started being worthless in 2006 and has just plummeted since.  I don’t understand why or how people get upset or don’t even know how to change this.  I Would urge everyone to write their congressman and ask them why they don’t do this.  The penny is a drain on this economy and it would save us money if we didn’t print it.  The video is wrong about one thing: Only one state accepts pennies at a Toll Booth: Illinois; because Lincoln was from Illinois.  Note this video:

I think I might drop a few economics lessons every now and then just to stretch my mind a little more from living the bachelor life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment