Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why I'm not so sure about this Randy Moss dump...

Teamwork. It's the backbone for winning championships. Bill Belichik, Doc Rivers, and Terry Francona have proved that. Claude Julien has come close to proving it. I don't think there is a person who would disagree with me. However, there are somethings that coaches and GM's do that they might regret. The Randy Moss trade, er, dump, was one of those things according to me.

I know some, or mostly all of the Patriots fans will disagree with me. Randy was a clubhouse cancer, arguing over money while the Kraft's were dealing with Brady, doing something while the pledge of allegiance was going on, yada yada yada. Randy has a history of being a pest. Think for minute, about what Randy Moss is to any team. He is the guy working for his dollar. John Salley, on his podcast talks a lot about how organizations smearing players because they aren't loyal to the team. If anyone should be loyal to anything, it's to their family. I don't blame Johnny Damon for taking more money to go to the Yankees, I don't blame Lebron for not staying in Cleveland, I don't blame Phil Kessel for leaving the Bruins after a stellar season to play in Toronto for more money. If your a player, your allegiance is to your family. And that's all. If an organization loves you enough, you will get a second contract to stay with them. Most recently Tom Brady, Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara. All well liked and deservedly getting their contract.


I don't know if most Boston fans know this, but we vindicate so many players who come through here and don't stay forever. Sure the foods nice, weathers okay, and the chicks are hot, but those things aren't money. I don't know whether its something just with Boston fans, but we almost expect every player to stay with their Boston franchise forever, like Larry Bird, Bobby Orr and Ted Williams did. Granted those players are Boston legends, but if someone walked up to them and offered then more money to play in New York or California or some other franchise, we would have vindicated the hell out of them.


Another reason I'm not sold on this dump of Moss is the Patriots plans for when Wes Welker gets another man covered on him. Randy Moss would usually get the coverage of probably two men or one Darelle Revis. Now that we don't have Moss, we are now allowing another man freed up on the field to cover Wes Welker, therefore making our passing to Welker 20 times a game a wobbly strategy. Moss was good for Welker in this way. I'm the one bringing up the fact that maybe the luxury of Randy Moss deep took away another player and freed up Welker and made him a Dallas Clark like player instead of the receiver he was in Miami. I know the Patriots have a lot of options, but we have one less option, which is our deep threat in Moss. I'm not even going to talk about Brandon Tate being a threat. I don't even think he's going to be that great.

My last argument for Moss is that, I'm sure he would have stayed if he was offered 2 years at the same money. The Patriots knew that Moss and Brady had the same year ending contracts. They also knew that through the process of elimination that Tom Brady would stay in New England. Think about how much money big franchises have spent on their QB's in last years off season and then think about whether or not they can afford Tom Brady in this off season. He was making $6M and now he's going to be making $19M.

Now I question their move or rumor to go after Deion Branch. Why would you reject to offer a receiver like Branch one time and then expect him to come back? Does he show teamwork ethic now? Maybe he seems desperate? I don't think so. I don't see the Pats getting a replacement and I also see them missing Moss very soon. This is what I don't get about this teamwork first strategy. If you want players to come here, you have to pay them. Drafting only gets you so far. If we aren't going to use these draft picks that we acquire for receivers that are who Tom Brady needs to pass to then I suggest we think about players, who you need to make a team work.

No comments:

Post a Comment