Monday, July 1, 2013

Boston Sports: The Celtics, The Patriots, and the Forecast of Raining Shit in New England

A lot has happened in the last 2 weeks of sports, especially if you are a fan of Boston sports.

The Stanley Cup was won by the Chicago Blackhawks, defeating the Boston Bruins.  The Bruins now enter a turbulent off-season, with several key players already not being resigned and entering Free Agency.

The former Patriots Tight End and Bristol Blood fan/member is basically one more murder away from being Tony Soprano (Rest In Peace James Gandolfini).  This news story went from "some dead guy was found near Hernandez' house in Attleboro" to "Holy Shit, the Patriots drafted a suspected murderer out of Florida".  There have been two things that made me laugh about this whole thing and that's these two pictures of Hernandez in court:




The second picture, for some reason, made me laugh about what he's thinking while he's in court, and I instantly thought of The Situation from Jersey Shore.  "Gotta look good for the Judge, can't have no chapped lips.  GTL."  Sorry, my mind wanders.

How pissed is Bob Kraft and Co. after taking "the weed guy" in that draft and then realizing he's the "weed and guns and murder guy"?  Definite due diligence fail.

Good news for the Internet, we now have "Hernandezing" to go alone with "Bradying" and "Tebowing".  I think the Patriots should stop picking up all these meme-players.

Bradying
Hernandezing
Like I need to tell you what this is.

The Celtics first traded their coach to the Clippers for a first round draft pick, and then traded Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Jason Terry to the New Jersey Brooklyn Nets for Marshon Brooks, Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries-Kardashian, Keith Bogans, Kris Joseph, and 3 first round draft picks (2014, 2016, 2018).  If you asked me two years ago about the age of Garnett and Pierce and whether or not they should come back, I probably would've said no.  But after a Boston-centric news week like this, I still say it's too early.  Plus Paul Pierce, the one person who I didn't think I wouldn't see wear another team's jersey, is going to be wearing another team's jersey.  Unreal.  He, along with Garnett, will no doubt get standing ovations when they come back to Boston.  Might need to check the tickets on that game.

Swap jersey's guys.

In baseball, The Red Sox can't close games, but are still managing to have an incredible record.  If there is any bad news relating to the Red Sox, I think it's just that players are getting injured.  Happens all the time.  I don't know any dreadful soccer news for the New England Revolution, but I know they are still playing, which is actually good news!

My initial reaction to all of this news coming within the same 10 days of each other -I don't know how fans around the Boston area are going to buy any sports tickets in the next year.  I honestly don't think I would want to go to a Boston sports game unless I got the tickets for free.  I know that seems fair-weather of me, but the opposite of a fair-weather fan is an obsessed fan.  Boston has too many obsessed fans.  Don't believe me?  We watch sports talk radio shows on TV:


Now the landscape right now for Boston, looks terrible.  Every person now has a question mark attached, which makes me think of Jim Carrey's Riddler.  Terrible image.  But for people that live around Boston, Sports is what keeps us sane.  After the Boston Marathon bombing, it was the Red Sox game, the Bruins game, and the Celtics game that everyone paid attention to.  I was at the first Red Sox game where Papi got the biggest rise out of a Red Sox crowd in a pre-game speech.


It was emotional and really brought the whole city together.  It made us all realize that we pay attention to sports to get away from the realities and horrors of war, bombs, and terrorism.  So maybe we don't need to be eccentric and obsessed, but I'd rather be sports-obsessed than war-obsessed.

That's all I can write for now, take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment