Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 11: First 10 songs on iPod Shuffle and Explain

Okay here it goes.  I won't leave anything out, even if it's embarrassing.

1. Step by Step theme song
This song is the theme song from a TV show I used to watch from ABC's TGIF lineup.  This show was on after Family Matters.  Usually has a nice stream of orchestra instruments.  Plus who doesn't love the idea of a family at an amusement park?


2. Loverboy - Almost Paradise (Ann Wilson & Mike Reno)
This song is a 1980's slow-love duet that seems to only work when there is a lot of heartache and an empty car.  When I hear this song I think of some movie.  I googled it, and apparently it's from Footloose.  Go figure.


3. Elton John - Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
I first remember buying the Elton John Greatest Hits double album and listening to this song a lot when I worked at the gas station during high school.  Classic rock songs about heart ache seemed to dominate those years more than anything.  It's a very nice song, with a nice harmonica breakdown that compliments the piano very well.


4. Gene McDaniels - Master Puppeteer
I don't think I've ever heard this song completely.  But I do like Gene McDaniels' songs.  They have a nice "keep happy while your doing laundry" vibe to them.  There is nothing like this out there currently.  But then again, most musicians don't have any big bands work with a singer nowadays.  No video could be found of this song.

5. Buckethead - Wishing Well
I like Buckethead.  Most people don't bother giving him a listen after seeing what he dresses like.  But his guitar riffs are just soothing to listen to while doing nothing at all.  Most of his solo stuff would be great soundtrack songs for a movie about two former lovers away from each other trying to cope with loneliness.  This particular song I haven't listened to in a while, might make me tune into Buckethead while working on my blogging or other writing projects.


6. Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell
I was in college when I first heard this song.  I might've been in high school but I never tied it to the makers of Sweet Home Alabama before college.  Clearly this song is about some crazy 70's partying that went overlooked.  I don't know what the exact "smell" is, other than the stench of being a redneck with a ton of drugs.  Most of which is probably heroin or whatever people in the 70's used to inject in their arms.

7. CunninLynguists - Brain Cell
I first learned about the CunninLynguists sometime around 2007 when I was listening to Immortal Technique and underground hip-hop.  They rap about growing up in projects and trying to make something out of a ghetto lifestyle.  This song has a nice trumpet wailing in the background, along with the repeated line "living in the world no different from a cell" which is off of a different song of their's.  This sounds a little depressing, but most of their songs do.  It's an acquired taste.


8. Eminem - Amityville
Wow.  Haven't heard this song in quite a while.  This is off of Eminem's second album "The Marshall Mather's LP".  This song was part of the album that not only put Eminem into the limelight, but also propelled him into controversy about rapping about homophobia, murder, wife-beating, rape and all that stuff.  This song usually goes unnoticed since the rest of the album is so good and is full of hits.  I remember listening to this song during my middle school years when lots of stories about hate crimes in middle schools were happening.


9. Rage Against the Machine - Microphone Fiend
Oh hell yes!  This song is probably one of my favorite Rage jams.  Tom Morello just kills it on the guitar riffs, De La Roche has the lyrical presence of a journeyman rapper, while the bassist and drummer both provide excellent rhythm.  All of Rage's endings to their songs are such a great part.  Anyone who is either bobbing their head or going all out moshing to this song is a friend of mine.  I can see myself listening to this song while bulletting down Rte. 140 in my old SHO to school.  Still gets me in the mood after all these years.


10. The Talking Heads - Life During Wartime
This song either reminds me of a 1980's basement party where there's one person dancing like it's Disco.  It has a very Disco sound, so that statement makes sense.  It also feels like it belongs in a Tarantino movie about someone planning a weird heist.  I can't understand a word, but I like the harmonica in it.  The world needs more harmonica.


No comments:

Post a Comment