Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 4: Religious Beliefs (HA!)

If you didn't catch my previous post on top 5 pet peeves, it is located here.

Now for a summation of my religious beliefs.

What one may or may not know about me is that I am usually into a routine.  Lewis Black once explained that he does not have a religion, so he started doing a routine since he couldn't get anything out of Judaism or Catholicism.

Now I was raised Catholic.  Not by choice.  I don't know if I would pick a religion if I had to choose one, they all pretty much suck.  I'm a very secular person.  I usually believe what science tells me.  I don't think that there is a single entity that can be blamed for everything.  I don't think that there is a good or bad place one's spirit goes when they die.  I figure, you live your life, and then one day, you won't be able to.  You go in the ground or in an urn and the people that cared about you say some things.  There isn't much else to it.  We can leave behind things of importance or things that will make someone else happy.  But we have a limited time on this earth and then we leave it to the person who is next.

Being raise catholic comes with this little asterisk of a life achievement: you need to become an "adult" in the church before you can be married in a church.  To me, it's kind of annoying.  I hated going to CCD (which is an abbreviation that I do not know what for) and don't think I got anything out of it.  I rarely go to church since I am mostly sleeping in or nursing a hangover on Sunday mornings.

When I was younger, I didn't really have any attraction to God or church.  I used to sit and color in the church pamphlet that you would get in the front door.  My mom dragged me church and I didn't soak in anything.  Singing in church never appealed to me and neither did reading.  I know my parents don't approve of that, but I don't approve of giving too much to churches that defend pedophiles.  I don't necessarily know how people do this.  I would probably help a person do something rather than give someone a bunch of money and hope they use it correctly.  According to a car ride home once, my parents used to give the church about $100 a week.  Do the math: that's $5200 dollars out the door and into the hands of people you don't really know but only hope they do something good with it.

My beliefs are this: we live, we die, we maybe make children if we meet someone, and if we do fall into a simple routine, we might live longer than we hoped.  The end.

Also, an update: I'm only doing the blog and crunch challenges for this 30 days.  Crunches are coming good but I can't do jumping jacks in my room without hitting something and getting in the way of something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment