Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 2 of 30 Day Challenge - Where I'd like to be in 10 years

This is quite a conundrum.  Usually I stay away from such topics because I never know what the future holds and I either get upset or I struggle to find out what I really want in life.  Most of my goals are things like a 30 day challenge, not a 10 year goal.  I know that when I was 16, I didn't think I would be here.

So, let's work backwards.  Ten years ago, when I was 16, I didn't have much on my plate other than working weekends at a gas station and playing on the JV Basketball team.  I earned $8 an hour and was driving around my parents spare car (96 Mercury Sable if memory serves correct), which was named Blue Bird.  I remember that being a sophomore in high school, I was definitely not into schoolwork.  I zoned out all the time, I listened to a lot of Black Sabbath and other rock-n-roll bands, all while doing my homework.  In fact, the desk I'm sitting at is the same one that I did all of that homework on.  I'd listen to Pink Floyd albums and never get sick of them.  My goals at the time were pretty much to finish my homework, go to basketball practices, and then figure out my social life after that was finished.  I think since I was good at math, I had the idea that I'd want to be accountant.  I do remember, I was very much into cars.  I did have model cars, and at one point, I was so full of teenage angst that I carved/drew into a cork board the words "I WANT TO WORK ON CARS AND THAT"S ALL".  My mom still brings it up when we talk about my future.

Now, at the age of 36.  Here's a quick list of things that I would absolutely want to have or have done:

  • done at least one open-mic comedy session
  • finish one of the many scripts/screenplays/stories that I've started and put aside
  • a very well-paying full time job that I would not regret starting or getting into
  • an attractive wife or a steady-girlfriend
  • be debt-free for at least one year
  • regularly driving a car that is from the 21st century (i still have yet to do this)
  • been on an unforgettable vacation (been on 3, but I like vacations)
  • I guess I would want a kid at this age, mainly because I'm great with kids and I'd like to someday have kids
  • have driven en exotic car, maybe once
  • have at least joined an Improv group or some sort of acting group
  • still have a consistent Internet presence
  • live in a city instead of a suburb
  • still be in contact with my college friends
  • be a Mr. T (meaning a jack of all trades and a master of 1)
  • still have the ability to cook the way I do now
  • lived in one other state than Mass.
  • Either be my own boss or have a boss that I really like to work for
  • not working for Bank of America
  • not having a drinking problem
  • pretty much in good health
  • having my job for me and not the other way around
  • be a best-man
  • I pretty much want to be a successful comedian
That last one is the real way I feel about my future.  I want to be the guy that you see in the credits of a funny TV show or a funny movie that makes someone else be a comedian or writer.  I'd love to be an SNL writer but I just don't have the background and don't have the gusto to pick up my life and take a giant risk of moving to NYC without any real help.  My mom is a teacher.  My dad is an electrician.  I don't know anyone in show business and knowing that gets me down.  So with this blog post, I will just list my wanted achievements for the next 10 years and strive for what I think I can do.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment