Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 5: Favorite Comfort Foods and Why

This is going to be picturesque.  I love food.  Being a fat guy and all.  So with this being a blog based around a Fat Guy (me).  I'm going to include some of the foods that I love, that may or may not have had a hand in making me fat.  So here goes some of my comfort foods:

Homemade Meatloaf w/ Heinz Ketchup

This is probably one of my favorite meals that I love to have whenever I go home during the fall-winter months.  I despise store-bought meatloaf and I also despise Hunt's ketchup.  The homemade meatloaf needs to fall apart when my fork slices through it.  Heinz ketchup is the best of the best.  I've once tried a sauce that my father once made with a meatloaf and I immediately went back to ketchup.

I like meatloaf because just the texture and the taste are perfect for a cold autumn night.  Meatloaf, mashed potatos, and maybe some green beans.  Plus if there are leftover's you can make meatloaf sandwiches, or just heat it up again.  But the ketchup is perfect for meatloaf.  Perfect taste and perfect texture.

Chicken Wings



I absolutely love chicken wings.  I love them covered in BBQ sauce.  I love them Chinese style.  I love them breaded.  I love them in Buffalo sauce.  I have actually been caught by a friend eating chicken wings in a hotel bed, getting the last bit of meat from the wings in my underwear.  It was a hilarious sight.  It was also in Vegas.  Now, I think the perfect chicken wing is the "forearm" part of the chicken wing; the wing with one bone and not two.  It offers you to dunk the wing in sauce and also allows for a free hand to grab your drink/beer.

My mom usually makes the best Chinese-style and Breaded chicken wings.  The hoisin/plum sauce on the chicken wings gives a good sticky taste.  The breaded kind you can mix in with any sauce you want.  Whenever I go home to this meal, I usually eat between 12-15.  Just because they are so easy to eat.  

BBQ Ribs (Dry and Wet)



Riiiiiibbbs.  Probably one of my first favorite comfort foods.  I remember on one of my early birthdays that my mom offered to make me ribs for the first time.  I love thinking about the sauces and the rubs that go on ribs.  I went to a place in Memphis called Charles Vergo's Rendezvous Charcoal Ribs, but is mostly known by Rendezvous.  It's a back alley rib joint that probably seats about 400 people.  They specialize in dry rub and they hit the flavor right out of the park.  I loved the dipping sauce, but that rib rub stays with me.  I got a little shaker of their rub and I might order more if the Internet allows...(checking website)...and it does.

Tomato Soup


Before Zooey Deschanel was ordering this dish via Siri for a rainy day while she danced around her house, I claimed it as the perfect soup for dipping sandwiches in.  It goes well with anything.  In this picture, it's a grilled cheese.  I would never have it delivered.  Although making it via Campbell's can isn't the best either.  It has to have some sort of tomato chunks in it and must also be creamy.  I always get it whenever I go to Panera.  I prefer the tomato soup over the "cheese soup" because I feel like there is a bigger difference between the Tomato soup and Ketchup than there is between Cheese soup and Nacho cheese.  Besides, most things with Cheese aren't that healthy anyways.

Pie



I love pie.  I love pie so much that when the pizza place named Easy Pie opened up near me, I thought it was an every kind of pie place.  They do make dessert pies, but they are also a pizza place.  I figured they would open in the morning serving Quiche and coffee.  Then lunch would be desserts, Shepherds pie, and some other kind of pie.  I know there is a place out there, but I can't think of any mainstream pie that would make a good dinner, unless it's deep dish pizza.  But dessert pies just keep getting more creative.  But I enjoy a nice blueberry, a nice apple, a nice key lime, and of course a nice chocolate pie.  I do eat cheesecake, but it's not the same and I think it's too rich sometimes.  If there is extra pie in a party, I will offer to take it off of someone's hands.  

No comments:

Post a Comment