Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 24: Your Favorite Movie and What it's about....

I don't know if I can answer this question: What is my favorite movie?  I've seen Caddyshack the most times.  I've analyzed the Shining a lot.  I've loved Blazing Saddles since the first time I saw it on VHS.  I loved The Burbs when I was a kid.  I felt like A Beautiful Mind was the best movie the year that Denzel won Best Actor and not Russell Crowe.  Although I think my favorite movie has be Pulp Fiction.  It's hard to argue.  It's a movie that is like no other.


I remember seeing this movie much later than when it was released.  I think the first copy I bought was the 10 year anniversary one.  It was just such an awesome movie cover to cover.  It's the movie that made me want to get involved with writing and movies in general.  It's a summation of suburban ugliness.  It has gangsters, it has fights, it has cool music, it has drugs, it's got unforgettable characters, it has mesmerizing scenes, and it's never really been duplicated as a film.  Every time I've seen this movie, I've been comfortable after the two and half hours and just thought "I could've watched that for two more hours."  It's the only movie that I will watch and never get bored with.  I think that's the best thing about a director that you can say.

If I were on a deserted island or paralyzed for the rest of my life, I would watch this movie over and over.  It's script is perfect and it never really gets tiring.  This is my favorite movie.

!!SPOILER ALERT AHEAD. DON'T READ ANYMORE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN PULP FICTION!!

To summarize Pulp Fiction is pretty hard.  It's a gangster film.  The opening scene begins with "Honeybunny" and "Ringo" sitting in a diner eating breakfast and talking about how they robbed a convenient store instead of a bank.  They then pop up and yell "Everybody be cool, this is a robbery!  Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every fucking last one of you!"  We move to another scene, the main honcho, Marcellus Wallace, sends out two hitmen, Jules and Vincent, to take care of an issue regarding a payment that Wallace was owed.  The film then jumps to Marcellus Wallace making a deal with a boxer, Butch Coolidge, to take a fall in his upcoming fight.  We see Jules and Vincent walk in the background, but they are dressed differently from before.  The film then jumps again to a situation where Vincent, has to take out Marcellus Wallace's main girl, Mia, out for dinner, while not making any moves on her sexually.  They go to dinner and win a dancing competition, which is one of the most entertaining yet woefully repeated scenes in other movies.  Mia finds her way into Vincent's little bag of drugs, which she thinks is Cocaine, but we're to believe that it's Heroin, based upon the drug dealing scene that we saw prior to Vincent picking up Mia in his car.  In order to save Mia, Vincent rushes Mia to his dealer's house and they perform an unforgettable scene on Mia's body.  After this scene, we learn a little more about the life of Butch Coolidge, and what he's actually fighting for and running from.  One segment, which is a wonderfully done scene with Christopher Walken, is about Butch's Father's Gold Watch, which his wife forgets while they are trying to pack up and leave town.  Butch has to return to his old apartment and get his watch back, but he finds a certain person we've met before that's reading a pulp fiction book in his bathroom when Butch walks in.  Butch tries to return to his wife unscathed, but is met by Marcellus Wallace at an intersection, which turns into a rundown and leads to one of the most originally horrific and mesmerizing scenes in cinema.  Butch and Marcellus find themselves both tied up and in someone's basement about to be gang-raped.  I won't spoil what happens, but it's at this point that Butch comes to a personal choice to save his business partner from being raped or face being raped.  We jump back to Vincent and Jules back in the apartment from the beginning of the movie.  They find themselves faced against a guy who pops out of the closet and misses Jules and Vincent with all six shots he fires from a hand cannon.  Jules thinks he has been blessed with divine intervention and considers leaving the business of being a cold-blooded gangster.  Vincent asks the kid they have in the backseat of their car if he believes any of it.  I don't want to spoil anymore, so just go watch the movie and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment