Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 26: How Would You Spend $1,000,000 dollars if You Had Such a Thing?

Ok.  So let's figure out that I have $1M in cash to spend, and not the usual $600,000 because of that after-taxes bullshit.  Okay, so here we go.

I'd take about $400,000 of it and put it into some sort of savings situation where I could live off of dividends and build some wealth.  Leaving me $600,000.

I would pay off all of my debts, which would be around $13,500 from school loans and roughly $3,000 I owe various people.  So that leaves me with about $584,500.00.

Over half a million with no debt, cars and stuff paid off, and still things to do.  I think I might do some travelling and knock off some destinations that are on my Thrillist.  I would consider doing some serious traveling, maybe visit Dorado Beach, maybe visit Refugia Chiloe, Iceland's Luxury Hotel, definitely will do some traveling with AirBNB.com, especially if I can get places to stay like this. 


And I think I might even go to an Ideas Island.  Yes, it's a real thing.

Given that all that traveling might take me about a year to successfully do, I would put the cost probably close to $100,000.  That would be if I did A TON of traveling too.  Who knows where I could go with so much time and money.  If I flew everywhere foreign, the trip to Chile and Iceland would probably cost me around $15,000 together.  The private Idea Island costs $1000 to charity, plus getting to and from the island, which would probably run about $5000 to be serious.  The trip to Dorado Beach could be the most expensive coming in at $1200 per night.  So for a month, without the trips with AirBNB, I would looking at about $30,000 if I didn't go anywhere else other than those 4 places.  Maybe closer to $50,000.  So that leaves me with about $530,000 to be fair.

With that money, I would continue to travel far and wide suing AirBNB.  I would search for any and all places to stay for maybe two to three nights per place.  I would travel all through Europe.  I would travel to portions of Asia and South America.  Maybe stop in to see my In-Laws in Ecuador.  I would also absolutely want to visit down-under Australia as well as New Zealand.  I would surely visit some of the places I wish I could see, like Zihuatanejo Mexico (the destination famous from Shawshank Redemption):




As I'm looking at some of these places, I am becoming so in love with AirBNB.  I would love to stay in the Frank Lloyd Wright houses for a couple weeks.  I would love to visit historical places of significance, as well as all around the world just soaking in everything.  To travel to some of these places, I would probably expect to spend close to $150,000.  I'm not including food since that's just too hard to calculate.  

I would try my best to pick up as many languages as possible.  Meet as many people as possible.  Soak up as much of this world as I could.  I would check in with family and friends every so often as to see what I'm missing or what they have planned for their futures. I would check on my investments to make sure that I am making some money while burning through a good chunk of it.

Then when I get tired of travelling, and get homesick, I'll come home.  I'd come home and make sure that I had enough money to move someplace and push myself into doing some of the things I wanted to do: like writing, maybe some acting, or standup.  I'd make sure that I would feel like I needed to succeed, so I'd have to put a larger chunk of money away so that I couldn't touch it for a while.  

Actually, if I documented most of this travelling, I would've made a pretty successful travel blogger. I would not spend money on cars or houses or whatever people would do to make them seem hood-rich. I certainly would not buy everyone in my family a brand new car. I think having the first step be putting away a ton of money in dividend paying investments is the safest way to make this journey enjoyable. I'm not a fool, so I know that money will come and go, but experiences, memories, and friendships will go a long way. So if I spend through a majority of the $400,000 I had left to myself, I'd dedicate it to obtaining a craft and becoming a jack of all trades and a master of one main craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment